We are living in an unprecedented time right now. A time of uncertainty for those who have painstakingly planned a wedding for over a year and now have to make the decision of whether to postpone it. I just had to help one of my couples cancel their destination wedding to Jamaica and trust me, it’s as heartbreaking for me as it is for you. So, at this time, I am more than happy to help you navigate your options.
First, take the time to be sad about it
It’s shitty. There’s no other way to say it. So many questions, anxiety, and so much time you’ve already put it. Take the time to feel it out. You have the right to feel upset. If you need someone to talk it out with, reach out to me. We’ll get through it together.
Second, check on all of your vendors’ contracts
Once you’re ready, go through all of your contracts, paying more attention to your venue contract. What is their cancellation policy? What is their postponement policy? Reach out to your venue contact as many will be happy to help with any questions or concerns you have at this time. They, like many of your wedding partners, will be very understanding of your situation. Ask if there are any dates available for later in the year or next year.
Ask your venue if you are able to choose a backup date at this time. Put that date on a soft hold so you have a contingency plan. Now, contact all of your other partners at this time to inform them that you have a backup date in place so they can make arrangements if they can.
Another option could be to continue with your current date but cut your guest list down to 50 or under. This would be the toughest decision for most, but again, it’s an option you can consider. If re-planning a big wedding is something you cannot think of doing again, maybe postpone and plan something small and intimate instead for your closest family and friends.
Another option would be to elope on your intended wedding day! Keep the ceremony nice and small for now and postpone the big celebration for later in the year or next year! Trust me, people will want to party when this is all over!
Continue to stay on top of local restrictions
Continue to vigilantly watch the news for any updates of closures and updates on the number of guests that are allowable at an event. At this time, if your wedding is within the next month – April, even early May – I would postpone now. The virus and restrictions have just come into place and I do not see it being lifted that soon. If you have late May and June weddings, I would begin to ask for backup dates just as a precaution. You’d still have up until next month (April) to move your deposit.
Another reminder that all events are different. If you have many elderly guests or many guests who are doctors or nurses on the front lines, I would suggest postponing to later this year or next year. You do not want to compromise anyone’s safety at this time.
Let’s all listen to what the government and health officials are asking of us at this time. It is for the benefit of all of our communities and the world as a whole. So as unfortunate as this situation is, let’s think of others.
Love cannot be canceled! Stay safe and healthy everyone xo